Go to footer

Skip to content

Best job for an Anarchist

If you're new to Anarchism or just have a general question this is your place. Low key, no heavy theory; welcome newbies and guest posts.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

Re: Best job for an Anarchist

Postby Francois Tremblay » Sat May 30, 2009 2:36 am

I *am* hostile. I am hostile to all forms of hierarchy, coercion, indoctrination and intimidation. I don't see why *I* should have to compromise on this on an Anarchist board, of all places!
Left-mutualist, atheist, childfree
http://francoistremblay.wordpress.com/
Francois Tremblay
Zen Master

Postby AndyMalroes » Sat May 30, 2009 3:14 am

Sorry Im being a douche
How long do you think we can have a free and democratic society if we insist on maintaining totalitarian systems in our companies? We must have freedom for individuals and organizations to grow and to realize their potentials.
(Delmar Landen, Head of Organisational Development at General Motors, 1981)
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby Garnier » Sat May 30, 2009 6:32 am

When you think about it, schools are places where kids are being used for the purpose of bunch of teachers being payed - the state nurturing parasites. Not all of the teachers are parasites but the overwhelming majority are.I mean how the f*** can they 'educate' someone, will they read the books for the pupils or what...
Not to mention 'homework' which is designed to cut even more of children's time.
And there's also the indoctrination role of the education.
Garnier
Swivel-Hips

Postby Maggot » Sun May 31, 2009 1:07 am

Yeah, though I will admit that one good thing about school is the music classes. You learn about music theory and stuff like that. Plus it's one of the easiest classes to pass for kids who can play an instrument.
Maggot
Denizen

Postby AndyMalroes » Sun May 31, 2009 1:22 am

Maggot wrote:Yeah, though I will admit that one good thing about school is the music classes. You learn about music theory and stuff like that. Plus it's one of the easiest classes to pass for kids who can play an instrument.

Agreed :D
How long do you think we can have a free and democratic society if we insist on maintaining totalitarian systems in our companies? We must have freedom for individuals and organizations to grow and to realize their potentials.
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby Francois Tremblay » Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 am

If all public schools were destroyed, all public school teachers thrown into the compost heap, and we had a world-wide network of Free Schools instead, I might be happier, but I still would be against the compulsory nature of schooling. The only message such a system would send is "you can be free, but we have to force you to be free."
Francois Tremblay
Zen Master

Postby AndyMalroes » Sun May 31, 2009 2:26 am

Im not disagreeing with you, but if schools aren't compulsory how do you know the kids don't want to go instead of the parents not wanting to be seperated from their children?

I realize this is a redundant question because compulsory schooling doesn't recognize the childs will anyway.

But I'd still like an answer.
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby Francois Tremblay » Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 am

AndyMalroes wrote:Im not disagreeing with you, but if schools aren't compulsory how do you know the kids don't want to go instead of the parents not wanting to be seperated from their children?

In the current parenting system, there's really no way to tell the difference between what the child wants and what he's told that he wants.
Francois Tremblay
Zen Master

Postby Maggot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Maggot wrote:Yeah, though I will admit that one good thing about school is the music classes. You learn about music theory and stuff like that. Plus it's one of the easiest classes to pass for kids who can play an instrument.
I forgot to add that music class is probably the best way to find people to start a band with. There's no telling how many punk bands got their start in high school.
Maggot
Denizen

Postby Maleficarum » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 pm

thought i'd jump in on this real quick-like, even though the original topic is now completely off topic.

I'm thinking, at least for me, an ideal 'job' would be something like machinist and blacksmith. Getting your hands on tools is the most difficult part but once you're there you can make, recreate, design, build, and replace most any metal item you or others may (or may not :P) need, and that includes further tools. Given a lathe or a mill you can build another of one or the other, not to mention any other sort of tool you may need. with a simple(ish) forge and foundry one can create the metal one needs to make the aforementioned items. (still, that's a lot of work but in essence it's the ability to create from utter scratch that appeals to me.)
Maleficarum
Swivel-Hips

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:17 pm

I would think freelancing would be the best job for an anarchist.

You work on your own. You own what you create. You can sell what you create if you wish.

If you are working as a freelancer, then you should also try to adhere to anarchist principles. For example, as a software developer the free software movement holds some great principles. And yes, you can still make a living as a software developer and adhere to principles of the free software foundation.

Anyone have anything against freelancers? It may not be the easiest job to make a living at but if you can, it sure beats salary jobs working for some company.

Postby guest » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:17 am

In my opinion, there is no best job for anyone in the society, anarchists are also included in this. The reason is that human nature has a will for freedom like all animals. Job is a term against freedom.It restricts your lifestyle therefore there is no best job. Retirement might be an option after working in some jobs in parallel with your life expectancies. Anarchism shouldnt restrict your jobs ,since it has freedom in its bases, if you expect a communal life you can work in any jobs provided by community or you can live like an animal in an harmony with the nature but after being educated in the modern society it would be difficult.
If you are talking about living in anarchy, thats not possible after we established all these things.
You should watch Heroes, a little knowledge on evolution, nature, power, system may help.

Postby |Y| » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:15 pm

No job.
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby scarydreams » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Francois Tremblay wrote:If all public schools were destroyed, all public school teachers thrown into the compost heap, and we had a world-wide network of Free Schools instead, I might be happier, but I still would be against the compulsory nature of schooling. The only message such a system would send is "you can be free, but we have to force you to be free."

you really believe a third or fourth grader can make an objective decision about whether or not he wants to attend school?
all authority is equally illegitimate.
scarydreams
Swivel-Hips

Postby Francois Tremblay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:16 am

scarydreams wrote:you really believe a third or fourth grader can make an objective decision about whether or not he wants to attend school?

I really believe someone who is at least 14 years old (and this is my highest, least generous number: ultimately this should be determined on a case-by-case basis, but there should be a higher limit after which everyone is free) is as fully able to make decisions about his own life as a 34 year old or a 54 year old.
Francois Tremblay
Zen Master

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Anarchism 101