Go to footer

Skip to content

new theme

No-particular-theme discussion board.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

new theme

Postby Pomegranate » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 pm

finally added a new theme, it's in the same theme as the home page so check it out from your profile, it's called blackFlag
No war but the class war!
Pomegranate
Near Total Consciousness

Postby |Y| » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Hell yeah Pom! I'll be using this from now on. At first when it loaded I thought it was red on black (site is just a bit slow right now, must be peak time for the hosted sites). But the dark red (alizarin) on white looks very elegant.

I like it a lot.

Perhaps the only thing that needs changing a bit are the buttons (just the "post reply" etc buttons). Maybe I'll fire up photoshop and post some replacements. :)

I like it though, very much so.
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby MilitancyFetish » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Ooh, daddy like! 8)
<br>

Do you know the power of the Question?
MilitancyFetish
Denizen

Location: a striated space (Deleuze and Guattari are my homeboys! ;))

Postby Canteloupe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:06 am

I spent some time with the buttons, in Photoshop, but the only thing I could come up with was desaturate or turn the blue outline gray. In the latter case, the idea was not to lose other colors. Then there are the animated gifs for new posts, etc., that require a different kind of editor. Plus all the buttons in the language file. It was a bit daunting. I put it aside, but will gladly defer to others to do. I left some of the blue in so the unchanged buttons could sort of blend in. But they do look too generic.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. — Bertrand Russell

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed — and hence clamorous to be led to safety — by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. — H.L. Mencken
Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby Canteloupe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:12 am

P.S., I found some red highlighted button thingies that blend in fairly well with this theme.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. — Bertrand Russell

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed — and hence clamorous to be led to safety — by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. — H.L. Mencken
Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby Canteloupe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:03 pm

P.P.S., You'll also notice that the forum is now linked back to the front page, unlike the subSilver theme, from the flag.blackened.net line at the top. It's the only hotlink that's not red.

Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby |Y| » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:13 pm

Aww, I wanted to modify the buttons! But I was too busy last night writing the last part of a 11k word essay on Bookchin... :P

Looks great Canteloupe!
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby AliasCanteloupe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm

I replying using anonymous posting just to see if the equation gizmo is working here.
AliasCanteloupe

Postby why (testing) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:27 pm

Whoa, that's awesome. :D

Posters should start coming back now, for sure. :)
why (testing)

Postby AliasCanteloupe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:38 pm

why (testing) wrote:Whoa, that's awesome. :D

Posters should start coming back now, for sure. :)

Yes, just as soon as the registration thingy is repaired.

Did you know that J.K. Rowling is a fan of The Smiths?
AliasCanteloupe

Postby |Y| » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:56 am

Looks like registration is worked out.

And everyone is a fan of The Smiths! :D
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby Canteloupe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:03 am

That Morrissey album is a particularly fine work as well. 8)

Actually, the registration thingy is still not reconfigured correctly. Not only that, but the smtp server is offline so messages from candidates to Pom will not get sent. But that's even if they could register.

Come to think of it, that shouldn't stop anons from posting. They just have to be able to do their sums. The way it's set up at the moment the anonymous posters can't edit their own posts. Maybe that will change as well.

Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby Canteloupe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:00 am

P.S., Chuck0 lent his approval to your essay on his weblog. I guess I'll have a look myself, tho, I'm no authority on the subject of your essay.

Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby |Y| » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:46 pm

I saw that, I think that was nice of him to mention it because it quickly went off of the front page of Infoshop.org and I was afraid no one would read it. At least some will, now. I put a lot of effort in to it (some 7k of my own words). And even then I feel it is lacking some bits. I'll definitely have to expound on it further.

BTW, I don't think he lent approval so much brought attention to it. I would like to know how he feels about it in general. I think I may have been to hard on the collectivists, and I will expound on that further. It was more lashing back at Bookchin than an outright condemnation of collectivsts.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby SteppenGuest » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:44 am

He writes "They (lifestylist anarchist issues) are more properly symptoms than causes of the general drift toward a sanctification of the self as a refuge from the existing social malaise." Which, translated, means, "Lifestylism is a symptom of self-gratification rather than a response to authoritarianism."

Actually, this is incorrect - it means almost precisely the opposite.

Social malaise (e.g. Capitalist exploitation) + lack of organised social resistance (strong non-authoritarian collectives, not based on a Communist model) + subsumation of 60's individualism by Capital (brands, subculture mining, MTV) -> Despair & belief that the ultimate Capitalist brand of freedom (negative freedom- see Isiah Berlin) is the only escape from 'Society' (meaning Capitalist Society) - thus lifestylist anarchism has no effective responses to the problems of Capital.

It also means that authoritarianism has caused lifestyle anarchism, by the total sublimation of experience under Capital, which has put forward that no other model of Society can exist (or if it does exist, it has no 'freedom' within it). Thus a retreat into the self as the last battleground for 'freedom', esp. regarding the 60's period. In effect, he's stating that lifestyle anarchism is a reactionary force, holding a central core of belief in negative freedom - which social anarchism does not share, as it has its roots in positive freedom (which of course, does mean it shares ground with Communism, but not in the authoritarian manner you are suggesting).

Now - there are issues with this, and I certainly think that Bookchin isn't 100% correct. However, fundamentally mis-understanding his arguments (especially visa vie negative/positive ideals of freedom, and what they have meant to the West/East ideological battle between them, esp. Cold War politics) does undermine the accuracy and worth of the essay. Oh,

If you need a 101, try "The Trap" by Adam Curtis, its fairly "non-intellectual" in its style.

Hate to say it, but if you don't understand the context, you're bound to argue from a position of ignorance.

p.s. Your essay "the second law" is drivel. I mean scientifically incorrect drivel.

Quotes such as "Enter the second law. Earth is actually a closed system, or at least, for all intents and purposes is a closed system." are absolute HOWLERS of ignorance.

Open systems have a number of consequences. A closed system contains limited energy. The definition of an open system assumes that there are supplies of energy that cannot be depleted; in practice, this energy is supplied from some source in the surrounding environment, which can be treated as infinite for the purposes of study. One type of open system is the so-called radiant energy system, which receives its energy from solar radiation – an energy source that can be regarded as inexhaustible for all practical purposes.

e.g. The Earth.

You: "The difference between an 'open' and a 'closed' system is that a closed system does not exchange matter, whereas an open system does."

No. In thermodynamics, an open system is one whose border is permeable to both energy and mass. A closed system, by contrast, is permeable to energy but not to matter. Now. Tell me, and the dinosaurs, how a huge piece of space-rock a mile+ wide hitting the planet doesn't prove that our boundary is permeable?!?

You: "The energy usage of humans still remains palthy in comparison to other species, humans being this silly little race of beings that can kill rather easily, but otherwise have no impact, always being caught up in their own little wars with one another."

Human based environmental impact / species extinction is well documented circa 35k years ago. Which was before technology, and even agriculture.

You: "Human societies rose and fell every couple of thousand of years but never really grew to large numbers around the globe as one global community. All were self-sustained except for those that encroached on others occasionally due to their leaders."

Er. Do you have *any* idea about what the word "TRADE" means? And facts such as the massive dispersal of Polynesian cultures?

You: "CFCs were largely eradicated in a few years and the ozone layer repaired itself in a matter of decades. "

By 2015, the Antarctic ozone hole would have reduced by only 1 million km² out of 25 (Newman et al., 2004); complete recovery of the Antarctic ozone layer will not occur until the year 2050 or later. Work has suggested that a detectable (and statistically significant) recovery will not occur until around 2024, with ozone levels recovering to 1980 levels by around 2068.[17]

Yes, it is STILL there and has NOT got smaller yet!! Far from it, there's evidence that global warming is actually increasing its size.

I'll stop there.

You're a fucking idiot.
SteppenGuest

Next

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion