Go to footer

Skip to content

flag's moderation policy

No-particular-theme discussion board.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

flag's moderation policy

Postby ambi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:12 am

what is flag's moderation policy?

who are the moderators? i see that some are listed on the index page, but dinsdale appears to have moderation authority as well, but is not listed.

if a moderator violates the moderation policy, what are the consequences? (this happened before with morpheus, he voluntarily stepped down as a moderator after removing posts "to make a point.")

my preference is for a heavy prejudice towards open expression to the extent possible, along with an understanding that the personal preferences of the individual mods will not interfere with the execution of the policy. (in other words, if a mod is uptight about sex, they need to get a grip and not censor posts which are related to sex.)

i've moderated discussion before. i know full well that there is a tendancy to roll one's eyes and complain that "hey, i'm a volunteer here and i help get rid of spam so dont fucking question my actions!" but if a mod is engaged in indefensible censorship simply because they have personal issues, i think it needs to be brought up.
ambi

Re: flag's moderation policy

Postby ambi » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:59 pm

there is spam going back to oct 14 at least.

any hope of you guys taking a break from the anti-sex league meetings and getting rid of the spam? :)

since i mentioned the dreaded 'z' word, we are going to get a wave of spam. i'm sorry about that, but you did volunteer...
ambi

Postby Canteloupe » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:20 am

What are you calling spam? Looks pretty clean to me. We check in from time to time to manage the odd visitation from China merchants. I'm dinsdale, btw.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. — Bertrand Russell

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed — and hence clamorous to be led to safety — by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. — H.L. Mencken
Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:32 am

looks like you nailed 'em... except for this one: link

thanks...

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:37 am

and these - note the sig - link

Postby Canteloupe » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:57 am

Well spotted, thanks.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. — Bertrand Russell

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed — and hence clamorous to be led to safety — by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. — H.L. Mencken
Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby |Y| » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Here's another: cshaobu456574 link
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby Zazaban » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:21 pm

I think this should be stickied, it's a rather good idea to have a place to report spammers.
"I am but too conscious of the fact that we are born in an age when only the dull are treated seriously, and I live in terror of not being misunderstood."
~ Oscar Wilde
"Greed in its fullest sense is the only possible basis of communist society."
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

Postby fukktard » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 am

Zazaban wrote:I think this should be stickied, it's a rather good idea to have a place to report spammers.

good idea

link -
this one is still around
fukktard
Swivel-Hips

Postby Canteloupe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Topic sticky. I've also administered extreme unction on the Asia/Pacific IANA prefixes, for the time being.

Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby ambi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:07 pm

spamalamadingdong: link
ambi

Postby Canteloupe » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 pm

ambi wrote:spamalamadingdong: link

Pom and I seem to be at cross purposes in controlling the spam from Asia. I ban the IPs in that area and he unbans them. I'm leaving it to him or someone else to clean the messes.

Canteloupe
Thomas Paine

Postby rebelmouse » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:06 am

Is it possible to stop spam with blocking of IP address?
there are different softwares for anonymity (I use Tor sometimes) so they can change IP very easy. so I don't think that spammers use their real IP address.
rebelmouse
Swivel-Hips

Postby |Y| » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 am

okokart memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3770

Putaou033 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3758

rebelmouse, I use other means (open wifi, or not so open), but I don't imagine there are very many Tor connections in China. I'd use Tor but stupid phpBB logs you out when the IP changes. Actually, it's not terribly stupid as it prevents people from stealing your account (Tor sniffers can do that easily). But still. Wish there was a reasonable workaround (perhaps a php script that validates Tor users independently, kinda like IDENT on IRC).
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Re: wow power leveling

Postby Doc Imbecile » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 am

I wonder if this bot is fake. :)
Samsk on the Infoshop forums.
Doc Imbecile
Swivel-Hips

Next

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion