Go to footer

Skip to content

school essay requirement is bullshit need help!

No-particular-theme discussion board.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

school essay requirement is bullshit need help!

Postby sublime_disarray » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi
I am attending Otis college of Art and Design
We have been reading Dan Ariely's Predictable Irrational book in our english class
I am required to write an essay in which I create a policy for my school
I do not at all agree with these terms or the policies that already stand

The requirements read as such:
An anonymous benefactor recently made a sizeable donation to Otis College of Art and Design. The donation came with the stipulation that the college put into action a new policy that in some way makes up for students’ inability to always make rational decisions. In other words, the benefactor is a believer in Ariely’s research and wants to see the college be progressive in enacting policies that act on this knowledge. Otis’ Board of Trustees will hold a special meeting next month to decide what policy to enact to please their new donor. In an essay of four pages minimum, propose a system that could be put into policy at Otis and provide arguments as to why your policy should be chosen. Remember, your classmates will be proposing policies as well.
Be sure to build your essay around a thesis that asserts your policy is the most important one to enact.
it’s time to serve the greater
good.

I have researched and embraced the theories of anarchism starting a little over a year ago. I am relatively new to this forum but greatly appreciate the information provided. I do not think that creating yet another policy will be 'serving the greater good'. I also cannot disregard this essay providing that if I do, my I will fail the course.

I am trying to think of a way in which I can stay within the requirements without writing about something I don't believe in.

Any suggestions would be awesome! thank you
sublime_disarray
Swivel-Hips

Re: school essay requirement is bullshit need help!

Postby |Y| » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Welcome! I really like your first post but I think I can't be very helpful. :/

I know nothing of Dan Ariely's stuff, but it sounds as if it is anti-irrationality, which I think anarchism is at its root. Having hierarchical structures is irrational, in my opinion, because it means that you cede your freedom for that of others. In that vein if you could perhaps write your essay showing how a structure in and of itself is irrational, and show how freely association individuals can be rational, you might be getting somewhere.

Unfortunately only a few regulars post here anymore (hopefully you help change that!), so you *might* want to take your question to anarchistblackcat or libcom where there are many more people who would be able to help you.
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby Areté » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 am

I feel your pain. I had to do something similar for my Macroeconomics class one semester. I had to write about what I would do as the chairman of the Federal Reserve to stimulate the economy. If I could have answered how I wanted to I would have chosen to shut down the Fed. Instead, I had to use my imagination to come up with something legitimate for my professor to accept. It tore me up to have to write a BS paper like that to hand in.

My suggestion is, if you can't go ahead and write your own thoughts and beliefs in your paper, then you're going to have to sit back and take it and write about what your professor might expect to read from the other sheeple. But first I'd ask and see if you can write about what you want to write about, and if you can't, then just toughen up and write a BS paper like I did.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Areté
Swivel-Hips

Postby sublime_disarray » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Thank you both for your advice.
In my essay I will be fighting for placement of an activist class with a no-grade policy. Students irrationally give up their independence in order to receive a letter grade approved by society. With no-grade freedom, students will be able to be independent and learn according to what they find intellectually stimulating.
My topic was approved and I will be reading into more of Academic squatting and activist courses which have been able to take action within schools.

cheers
sublime_disarray
Swivel-Hips

Postby Areté » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Sounds like you're referring to the whole Unschooling, John Holt, Montessori method type stuff. I've been fascinated for a some time now with these methods of learning. Definitely quite interesting look into. :mrgreen:
Areté
Swivel-Hips

Postby |Y| » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 am

sublime_disarray, yes! You are freaking awesome! Best thread ever. Please keep us up to date on things.
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby Areté » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 am

How's your paper coming along sublime?
Areté
Swivel-Hips

Postby davidchatman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:02 am

There are many students, who can find it very difficult to complete their college essays. Still if you are a highly talented writer, time boundaries can prove to make things challenging. So the students they are try buy essays online cheap. But it is a challenging job for them because now a day there are many sites they providing.
davidchatman
Swivel-Hips

Postby Tandrajose » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 am

To get any type of academic help you can have help from Thesis writing service
Tandrajose

Postby marlinwood » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:17 am

Essay writing has been a difficult task for most of the students. Custom essay writing service giving help to those students who are paranoid with submitting their papers.
marlinwood
Swivel-Hips

Postby jacinto » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 am

Best essay writing service is one of the best service for the students in knowing more about their essay. Through this services students get top quality papers with no plagiarisms.
jacinto
Swivel-Hips

Postby katherinehayden » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:33 am

Dont worry, Any type of help will be provided by online coursework writing service. the service will help the students to submit good paper on given time. you will get quality paper which is free from plagiarisms.
katherinehayden

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 am

Do not worry about your academic term papers! Cheap help is just a click away from you; simply call the writers at Buy academic papers now and avail what you want.

Postby SteveErvin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:50 pm

There are numerous understudies, who can think that its exceptionally hard to finish their school expositions. Still in the event that you are a very gifted author, time limits can demonstrate to make things testing. So the understudies they are attempt purchase articles online shabby. Be that as it may, it is a testing work for them since now a day there are numerous locales they giving. And if anyone who want to hire customassignment.com online academic service please visit our website.
SteveErvin

Postby stevenlong » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:34 am

There are many essay writing services in online provided to the students. Click write my essay that provides essays at really affordable price
stevenlong
Swivel-Hips

Next

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion