Go to footer

Skip to content

Bakunin

Anarchism: What it is and what it is not.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

Bakunin

Postby Pomegranate » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:59 pm

been rading "anarchy and the state" lately and i have to say, it's a pretty boring book. not the content which is good a times, but it's so dated now because he based the entire thing on world-politics during his day. the austrian inter-country conflicts just don't resound with the same power.

the best, most inspiring Bakunin i've read so far is in Maximoffs book "The Political Philosophy of Bakunin" which is basically a compilation of his translated pamphlets. each is addressed to a particular topic and his most powerful writings which i've seen come from these pamphlets. "ethics: morality of the state" being my all-time favorite.

so, if you plan to read some Bakunin, I suggest you spend a bit of time trying to track this one down. i suppose i should xcribe it and put it online.
No war but the class war!
Pomegranate
Near Total Consciousness

Postby Mind_Cemetary » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:40 pm

Are "Anarchy and The State" and "Statism and Anarchy" the same book?
This is the one I've seen and have considered reading:
And it all went quiet in the city
And the wind blew down the road.
Someone cried out "Subvert!"
And the people all went cold.
Mind_Cemetary
Denizen

Postby Morpheus » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:30 pm

Statism and anarchy is one of the worst anarchist books I've ever read.
Homepage

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus
Morpheus
Zen Master

bakunin

Postby nil » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:58 pm

the only anarchist author worse than bakunin is proudhon. i'll take the moralistic asceticism of berkman any day.
nil

Postby Pomegranate » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:05 pm

that's the one MC, take my advice, look for "the political philosophy of bakunin" instead
No war but the class war!
Pomegranate
Near Total Consciousness

Postby PatheticKammy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:11 pm

edit
Last edited by PatheticKammy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatheticKammy
Denizen

Postby Din » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:21 am

Bakunin was more of an activist than a writer. Now, Godwin, Stirner, and Tolstoy had a very strong command of language and literature. Even if one does not agree with the point that they are making, one can't help being impressed with the manner in which they conveyed that point. Of course, all three of them are recognized as philosophers in their own way, and both Godwin and Tolstoy were novelists while Stirner worked as a teacher and then as a translator. Proudhon and Bakunin, on the other hand, would be amongst the worst at articulating their point. How ironic then that their writings tend to gather the most attention amongst commentators of anarchism. Kropotkin was not particularly savvy at literature either, but he was nonetheless able to get his point across, obviously aiming at a more general audience than Godwin, Stirner, or early Tolstoy.
Din
Zen Master

Postby |Y| » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:30 am

if you scan it, I'll OCR and proof (while reading) it, Pom (unless you know how to do that/have the time/energy to do that), it'd be much appreciated, as I can't find it anywhere online, except for excerpts from it...

and yeah, I've read the Ethics: Morality of the State essay/phamplett, and it's awesome I agree
I am a leader, but you will not follow me.
|Y|
One Step Beyond

Postby huntergatherer » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:05 am

I've never read anything from a fucking old white man with a beard. Shit. Can I still be in the anarchy club? 8)
The duty of the revolutionary is to make the revolution by joining every revolutionary movement, whether or not it has an anarchist or communist program.
-Ricardo Flores Magón
huntergatherer
Zen Master

Postby Username » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:50 am

huntergatherer wrote:I've never read anything from a fucking old white man with a beard.
kind of nihilistic of you
Username
Denizen

Postby Rjak » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:59 pm

huntergatherer wrote:I've never read anything from a fucking old white man with a beard. Shit. Can I still be in the anarchy club? 8)

What about a celibate old man? :)
"What can one say?
I will not obey!"
Rjak
Denizen

Postby Username » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:12 pm

:lol: but that took a while for me to get
Username
Denizen

Postby huntergatherer » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:21 pm

I don't get it... :oops:
The duty of the revolutionary is to make the revolution by joining every revolutionary movement, whether or not it has an anarchist or communist program.
-Ricardo Flores Magón
huntergatherer
Zen Master

Postby Username » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:28 pm

instead of a fucking old man
Username
Denizen

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:08 am

huntergatherer wrote:I've never read anything from a fucking old white man with a beard. Shit. Can I still be in the anarchy club? 8)

it's preferred that you read and discuss the words of the fucking old white men, as long as you live your life completely unaffected by them, being a 100% mainstream american/european with the essential accessories including gas guzzling car (to get to the library and back, of course) and ostrich-head-hole for those occasional moments of blazing temporal truth.

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Anarchists and Anarchism