Go to footer

Skip to content

New Anarchist Writer

Current events and Activist Actions

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

New Anarchist Writer

Postby Son of Berkman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:17 am

Fellow anarchists, there is a new American writer trying to get our philosophy to the masses, and he's doing it through fiction. His name is T.A. Sedlak, and his novel is Anarcho Grow.

Is Ben Starosta an English teacher, a petty criminal, or a revolutionary?

Enter T.A. Sedlak's stunningly vivid portrait of Latin America. A world of iridescent birds, fruit farmers, tight pantsed ticas, and piratas. Learn the meaning of Pura Vida, the importance of hockey bags, and what goes on at the infamous Hotel Del Rey. Sit back, turn on the Volcano, and learn for yourself where Anarcho Grow will lead.

Ben Starosta had done volunteer work in a village in Costa Rica during college. Afterward, he returns, thinking he can help the people more through other means. He introduces them to guerrilla growing, clandestine outdoor marijuana cultivation- similar to the methods used in Northern California. The pot is being shipped to the U.S., and, as Starosta continually looks to Anarchist Catalonia of the last century for inspiration, the community's prospering. However, the C.I.A. soon catches wind and is on his trail.

“Anarcho Grow is an engaging story of love, political intrigue and utopian hopes. It is eminently readable and emotionally compelling. “ -Howard Zinn

"Anarcho Grow is a gripping and entertaining novel of Latin America, highly recommended." -The Midwest Book Review

Hope all you anarchists enjoy T.A.'s novel as much as I did. You can read the first chapter at tasedlak.com
Son of Berkman

Re: New Anarchist Writer

Postby jack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Sounds fucking stupid.
jack
Denizen

Postby jack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Wow, I was going to write a more detailed respnse as to why this is fucking stupid, got halfway through and saw "marijuana" "Northern California" and "Anarchist Catalonia" used in the same sentence, followed by "guerilla gardening", and I decided to quit.

It's stupid, it's really, really, really stupid. I hope your white middle class liberal ass never, ever, ever writes anything again.
jack
Denizen

Postby Anarchological » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 am

Sounds like a good read to me.
Anarchological

Postby thelastindividual » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 am

Anarchological wrote:Sounds like a good read to me.

As if anyone needed another reason not to pay attention to this book.
"Well, judging by his outlandish attire, he's some sort of free thinking anarchist." - C.M Burns

"Property is theft right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine" - Zaphod Beeblebrox
thelastindividual
Zen Master

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 am

Do you actually ever think for yourself?

Postby thelastindividual » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:10 am

I don't know who that was directed at, but seeing as how this is an anarchist board I'd say everyone here can think for themselves pretty well.
"Well, judging by his outlandish attire, he's some sort of free thinking anarchist." - C.M Burns

"Property is theft right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine" - Zaphod Beeblebrox
thelastindividual
Zen Master

Re: To Jack

Postby Son of Berkman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 am

Jack's the type of person who gives anarchists a bad name. Just an angry person calling himself an anarchist, but he has no desire to cooperate with others to forge a better society. Anarchism is about cooperation, not blind rebellion.

And since I'm sure you'll respond back with plenty of cuss words, Jack, the words you listed above don't all occur in the same sentence, not that it would be a bad thing. Please, pick up Alexander Berkman's "What is Anarchism?" and learn to cooperate. Because that's what anarchism is about.
Son of Berkman

Re: To Jack

Postby jack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Son of Berkman wrote:Jack's the type of person who gives anarchists a bad name. Just an angry person calling himself an anarchist, but he has no desire to cooperate with others to forge a better society. Anarchism is about cooperation, not blind rebellion.

You're another upper class liberal hippie calling himself an anarchist, there you go.

[quot]eAnd since I'm sure you'll respond back with plenty of cuss words, Jack, the words you listed above don't all occur in the same sentence, not that it would be a bad thing. Please, pick up Alexander Berkman's "What is Anarchism?" and learn to cooperate. Because that's what anarchism is about.[/quote]

Er, yeah.... I'm pretty sure Berkman would say "what the fuck is this shit?" upon reading your book description. It's fucking stupid, and cooperation doesn' mean respecting or liking every 10 cent shitty novel full of stereotypical images of Latino America and growing weed and "guerilla gardening" as revolutionary. That's not what anarchism is about, college boy.
jack
Denizen

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Whoa! Colllge boy! Them's is fightin's words, Berkman! You're not going to take that, are you? I sure wouldn't want to be accused of possibly having some brains.

Postby Anarchological » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:22 pm

I went to Amazon for Anarcho Grow, and they have used copies starting at $165 each. The paperback is due out Feb. 10. I'm going to wait
Anarchological

Postby Son of Berkman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:40 am

Son of Berkman will take it. If someone wants to fly into a rampage for nothing, that's their prerogative. At least I know people don't act like that in any anarchist groups that I'm a member of, and if they did they'd be turned aside.

Anyway, yeah, I saw that the national release date for the book is February, but I think the author first sent books around to all the stores in his state (Wi). I picked my book up in Milwaukee.

If anyone does get the book and wants to start a discussion, let me know. I think T.A. hit on an interesting point that marijuana growing (modern day bootlegging) is one of the few means available for one to rise out of their class. However, if one is looking to exact social and political change, he or she can direct the money earned toward lobbying, channeling it to countries with government or economic systems they prefer, or even starting their own community or businesses in their community that they believe will be beneficial. There's a reason Zinn and Chomsky endorsed it.
Son of Berkman

Postby jack » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Son of Berkman wrote:Son of Berkman will take it. If someone wants to fly into a rampage for nothing, that's their prerogative. At least I know people don't act like that in any anarchist groups that I'm a member of, and if they did they'd be turned aside.

Anyway, yeah, I saw that the national release date for the book is February, but I think the author first sent books around to all the stores in his state (Wi). I picked my book up in Milwaukee.

If anyone does get the book and wants to start a discussion, let me know. I think T.A. hit on an interesting point that marijuana growing (modern day bootlegging) is one of the few means available for one to rise out of their class. However, if one is looking to exact social and political change, he or she can direct the money earned toward lobbying, channeling it to countries with government or economic systems they prefer, or even starting their own community or businesses in their community that they believe will be beneficial. There's a reason Zinn and Chomsky endorsed it.

Reformism.
jack
Denizen

Postby Dendroc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:57 am

jack wrote:Reformism.

And don't forget:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWNhKYzh3Q
Dendroc
Swivel-Hips

Postby Son of Berkman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks, Dendroc. David's tune entered my head the moment I saw Jack's first comment.
Son of Berkman

Next

Return to Board index

Return to News and Events