Go to footer

Skip to content

New Anarchist Writer

Current events and Activist Actions

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

Re: New Anarchist Writer

Postby jack » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm

That song's about post-leftists, much like the author of that book, and its politics. You're whining about the wrong person.
jack
Denizen

Postby Son of Berkman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Yep, Jack, you're a better anarchist than all. In fact, a better person. You can know all about a book and its author without even looking at it. Please teach us how we can know another person's politics without reading his or her words, listening to him or her, or reading about the person. You should start up a school to enlighten us.

One thing you're wrong about,though, is the song. It's about pretentious, self-righteous anarchists. I had a laugh with David about it when he was in my city a year and a half ago.
Son of Berkman

Postby Anarchological » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 am

Amazon says it will have the paperback Feb. 10.
Questions:
Free enterprise seems like it would be perfectly compatible in an anarchist society without rulers, but would a free enterprise like Amazon exist under anarcho-communism? Would anarcho-communists want power over other people? Would they seize control of the internet if they could and abolish advertising? Would they also control which books couold be distributed? Would people have the liberty to read what they want to, buy what they want to, and sell what they want to on e-Bay? If individuals wouldn't have the liberty to do these things, who in authority would make these decisions for them? Communists I've talked to over the years ususally say "The People Will Decide". Which people? Does a Proudhonist freedom-lover qualify as a person?
Anarchological

Postby AndyMalroes » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:37 am

You know there are such things as e-books, IMO e-books would probably start to take over from hard copies in Anarchism as fewer resources are needed to produce them and they can be accessed by a large audience for free without having to go through a publisher. I haven't really thought about the e-bay thing but my first reaction would be to let you play free-enterprise have fun trying to convince people paper is worth something after the pre-conceptions already been thrown out the window.
How long do you think we can have a free and democratic society if we insist on maintaining totalitarian systems in our companies? We must have freedom for individuals and organizations to grow and to realize their potentials.
(Delmar Landen, Head of Organisational Development at General Motors, 1981)
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby Son of Berkman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:29 am

Interesting thoughts, guys. I have a hard time believing that paper books will ever leave us, Andy. The majority of readers love the feel of a book in their hand far more than an electronic device. My eyes seem to burn after too many hours reading on the computer. I never get sick of holding a book, though. I certainly think ebooks have their place. I know that Howard Zinn's People's History can be read online for free. I'd hate to read the whole thing online, but I sure do like it as a reference tool. Open a chapter, contol + f, and there's the fact I'm looking for.

Anarchological, you raise a lot of interesting questions. As far as something like Amazon existing in an anarchist society, I think it would be ideal if libraries were expanded, then Amazon would need not exist. Authors want their books accessible to every library. Hopefully, that could happen. However, if people show no interest in a particular title, I'm sure it could fall out of circulation, such is a book's life.

I don't think it's possible for advertising to stop. I see advertising as a part of people. Basically, when we talk we advertise. I like this book, so I'm talking about it. However, maybe people would agree that there's not a need for advertisements plastered on pages. Maybe people would say some sites still should have advertisements, but, obviously, in this society the advertisements would be for worker owned businesses. I don't know how it would be decided who gets the advertisements, some sort of equal opportunity system, maybe even a raffle. Whatever the people decide, I guess.

Books distributed, as I listed above. Whatever people want to read is what they'd get. I imagine there would still be trade magazines about books. People at libraries would order from them. People could look at them and tell their libraries what they're interested in. However, another idea is artists could travel around the country or world giving books for free if they could stay the night at people's places and eat there, do readings in the community, etc. Similar to the way Utah Phillips used to move across the country.

Just some thoughts, Anarchological. You can respond back with yours.

Peace
Son of Berkman

Postby Anarchological » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:38 pm

I like to listen to "books on tape" when I'm driving long distances, but still prefer reading a book than reading off a screen.
Did you notice that after the state fails Andy's "first reaction would be to let you play free enterprise"? Maybe i should be grateful to him, but since I like the views of Proudhon, Josiah Warren, and Lysander Spooner regarding my Individual Sovereignty, I'm not convinced that I wouold need Andy's permission to do anything that doesn't personally involve him, any more than I feel that I have a right to tell him how to live.
Anarchological

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:35 am

The thoughts that you have depicted in this article makes me to think deeply. Its a high intensity content and the way you explained the topic is impressive. I have no words to appreciate you for introducing these kinds of thoughts and ideas. There is no other place than dissertation writing service UK to get these types of priceless information.

Postby phallyka » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 am

Jack's the type of person who gives anarchists a bad name.

^^Goldenslot^^
phallyka
Swivel-Hips

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to News and Events